A few short years ago I knew absolutely nothing about oil changes or car maintenance. Thank goodness hubby was around to actually read my car’s manual and give me explicit directions for caring for my new vehicle. I am 100% certain that I would have requested the wrong type of motor oil at my regular oil changes, and probably would have over-scheduled the routine maintenance based on myths I had always taken as fact.
If I didn’t already have the best teacher ever, I would be completely reliant on sites like AskPatty.com, a website that gives women expert automotive advice including the best places to take your vehicle for maintenance. This past week, I got the opportunity to interview Jody DeVere, the President of the Women’s Automotive Association International and CEO of the auto-advice site AskPatty.com, and ask her some questions about proper care and maintenance of vehicles. Here are the questions and answers from my interview with Jody, which I hope you will find as useful as I did.
1) What’s one thing you would recommend to readers looking to maximize fuel economy and save money on car maintenance without damaging their engines? Oil is an essential part of your engine's life. It keeps your car running efficiently though all types of weather extremes. But oil does get dirty. When that happens, it can clog engine parts. To help maintain the life of your car and maintain fuel economy and follow the recommendations in your owners manual. The correct oil change interval is the one recommended by the engine manufacturer for your individual driving conditions. It is printed in your vehicle owner’s manual. Each vehicle manufacturer tests its own vehicles to determine the proper drain interval.
2) How important is it to put high quality oils in your vehicle at each maintenance? Motor oil isn’t something you want to skimp on. Using high quality motor oil like Pennzoil or Quaker State in the proper weight and grade can help maximize fuel economy. Investing in high-quality motor oil is worth minimizing the hassle of engine related failure – it’s cheap “peace of mind.” For every vehicle, always make sure the oil meets the manufacturer’s requirements as listed in the owner’s manual.
3) What’s one piece of advice you can give to people about proper maintenance for their car? To help maintain the life of your car, follow the recommendations and service intervals to the letter of the law in your owner’s manual.
4) Why should readers check out AskPatty.com? The AskPatty.com website, is a safe and reliable source for expert automotive advice and research. You can locate an AskPatty.com Certified Female Friendly® auto dealer, tire dealer, collision center and auto service or repair center to insure you have an outstanding level of customer service.
Check out the great information at AskPatty.com for even more information on ways to maximize your car care dollars. Another great resource, MotorOilMatters.org, is a site that was created by the maker of Pennzoil and Quaker State, where you can find customized information about what’s best for your specific car and learn more about how quality motor oils can help prolong your engine’s life.
One of my favorite features on Motor Oil Matters is the Pennzoil LubeMatch,a tool that asks you a few simple questions and advises you on choosing the correct lubricants for your specific vehicle. It confirmed that the recommended oil weight for my car was as my husband had researched years ago and it helped me create a more personalized oil change schedule that will keep my car running in the best shape possible.
As someone who buys a car planning on handing it down to my children, I can really appreciate that there are sites like Motor Oil Matters and Ask Patty that make car care and maintenance easy for anyone to understand. In addition to facts and customized features, they also have a fun and educational 10 question quiz called “M.O.M. Knows Best” where you can test your motor oil prowess. I’m happy to report that I got 100% on the quiz, a score I fully owe to hubby.
With summer travel on the horizon, it’s a perfect time to check out the wealth of information at MotorOilMatters.org and AskPatty.com. You can get the information you need to properly care for your specific vehicle, read expert advice and even have fun testing your car care knowledge.
And now for the Giveaway...
One lucky Rave and Review reader will win a $35 Jiffy Lube Gift Card to get started on their summer time car maintenance! You can see Jiffy Lube locations by clicking here. You can even print coupons directly from the Jiffy Lube site that can save you even more money every time you take your vehicle in for service.
To Enter: Tell us what you found most interesting on the MotorOilMatters website or what you scored on the M.O.M. Knows Best Quiz!
And, as always, there are extra entries available!
1) Let me know you subscribe to Rave and Review, top of right sidebar (2 extra entries, must be verified to count - leave two comments)
3) Blog about this Giveaway and Motor Oil Matters with links back to this post as well as the https://www.MotorOilMatters.org/ homepage
4) Place my button or logo in your sidebar on your blog or website (must have an active link)
5) Comment love. Leave a new comment on any non-giveaway post and/or any of my current giveaways!
6) Email love. Share this Giveaway with friends and family via email and cc Leanne (at)raveandreview (dot) com (I will never, ever contact your email recipients)
7) Vote for Rave and Review on Top Baby Blogs, logo in right sidebar (daily entry, just tell me what rank R&R has)
On June 18th at 11:59pm PST a winner will be drawn, announced here and notified via email. Winner will have 48 hours to contact me or a new winner will be chosen. Giveaway open to US addresses only.
Winner, Winner! This giveaway is now closed. Thank you to all who entered and congratulations to Erinxduh who said:
Scored an 75.83% on the M.O.M quiz
whoa! I must be a great guesser.
Shell Lubricants provided me with a $35 Jiffy Lube Gift Card through a campaign with MyBlogSpark. They are also providing one Rave and Review reader a $35 Jiffy Lube Gift Card of their very own. All opinions are 100% ours and no monetary compensation was received for this Rave Review.