Rody Gymnic Jumping Horse from Maukilo Toys Review
It’s no secret I love European design, in fact, I would do nearly all my shopping overseas if I could afford the shipping or the plane tickets. So, finding a retailer like Maukilo that specializes in European design and in heirloom quality toys and gifts is pretty much a dream come true. There are hundreds of ways I could go broke shopping at the Maukilo site, starting with the largest selection of HABA toys and accessories available online and then with their great selection of Plan Toys.
Another uniquely European toy I fell in love with in the Maukilo catalogue is the Gymnic & Rody Jumping Horse, which stemmed from an article I read about how it was used for young children and those with disabilities to help them learn balance and coordination, and had decided that it would be the perfect present for my daughter. It turns out she wholeheartedly agreed. Not only does she absolutely love the Rody Jumping Horse now, she’s got many more years of enjoying this unique ride-on toy to come.
The Rody Jumping Horse is made in Italy and is essentially an inflatable, super strong, soft, latex-free and phthalate free vinyl horse that kids can hold onto and then bounce to their heart’s content. For kids that are too young to bounce, there is even an optional rocking base that you can attach your Rody’s feet to so it converts him to a rocking horse. While not in the base, the Rody Jumping Horse can support weights up to 400 pounds, which means my entire family could sit on one Rody Horse at the same time, if there was a saddle big enough.
When my daughter first got on the Rody Horse, she loved sit in the 12” saddle and lean from side to side, alternating which foot was touching the ground with each rocking motion. As she got braver, she would really get moving on the Rody horse, fully realizing the joys of an ultra-padded throw rug. Soon she was bouncing up and down with confidence while riding, which meant that when she was off the Rody it translated to more enthusiastic dancing with lots of strong movements we hadn’t seen before.
In fact, we noticed a lot of improvement right away in her confidence with climbing up on things, her jumping, and her balance. It really is the rare toy that thoroughly entertains your little one while at the same time improving their motor skills so noticeably, but my whole extended family was really impressed by how much stronger and more coordinated she had gotten in just a short amount of time.
As your child grows, the Rody will grow with them by simply adding more air. By inflating it to a higher pressure it becomes more reactive to their bouncing and more of a challenge to stay on, which allows your child to continue getting the appropriate workout for their skill level. I can’t wait for the day when she really gets her Rody moving and it becomes a method of transportation as well as a toy and exercise equipment.
Random Rave: Rody the Exercise Horse. When turned on his side, Rody is the perfect workout companion, helping for back stretches, sit-ups and more*. I had been looking at getting some exercise equipment in anticipation of the long, cold winter and was thinking an exercise ball would be perfect to start with, but now I’m glad I didn’t get one. Not only is Rody cute and kid friendly, I absolutely love that he doesn’t take up as much space as a large exercise ball, or roll around the house getting into stuff. Hubby and I using the Rody also has the added benefit of making my daughter laugh hysterically, which, in turn, makes us all laugh. I don’t think we will be putting away the Rody for a long, long time.
And now for the Giveaway...
One Rave and Review reader will win a $25 Gift Card to Maukilo Toys to spend any way they would like! To enter, just visit Maukilo and tell me how you would spend your prize money or something cool you learned about Maukilo Toys.
And, as always, there are extra entries available!
1) Subscribe to Rave and Review - link in top right sidebar (2 extra entries, must be verified to count) 2) Tweet about this Giveaway using @raveandreview (daily Tweet, just post link here) 3) Blog about this Giveaway with links back to this post as well as the www.raveandreview.com homepage 4) Place my button or my 2009 Gift Guide logo in your sidebar on your blog or website (2 extra entries, must have an active link) 5) Comment love. Enter any of my other Giveaways or comment on any non-giveaway post! 6) Email love. Share this Giveaway with friends and family via email and cc Leanne (at)raveandreview (dot) com for two bonus entries (I will never, ever contact your email recipients) 7) Vote for Rave and Review on Top Baby Blogs, logo is in right sidebar (daily entry)
1) Subscribe to Rave and Review - link in top right sidebar (2 extra entries, must be verified to count)
2) Tweet about this Giveaway using @raveandreview (daily Tweet, just post link here)
3) Blog about this Giveaway with links back to this post as well as the www.raveandreview.com homepage
4) Place my button or my 2009 Gift Guide logo in your sidebar on your blog or website (2 extra entries, must have an active link)
5) Comment love. Enter any of my other Giveaways or comment on any non-giveaway post!
6) Email love. Share this Giveaway with friends and family via email and cc Leanne (at)raveandreview (dot) com for two bonus entries (I will never, ever contact your email recipients)
7) Vote for Rave and Review on Top Baby Blogs, logo is in right sidebar (daily entry)
On December 31st at 11:59pm PST a winner will be drawn, announced here and notified via email
A HUGE thank you to Maukilo Toys for making the rainy season that much more bearable by sending the Rody Gymnic Horse to play with, and for offering a giveaway to our fabulous readers. No type of monetary compensation was received for this rave review. * I am not a fitness expert, physical therapist, or a doctor, nor do I claim to know what constitutes official exercise equipment. Please consult with experts before trying anything crazy... like using your daughter's play equipment as a gym.